Santa, his elves and all his helpers at the Newington Neighbourhood Association would like to thank you all for your support during 2009.
A big thank you to our sponsors and to the volunteers who helped out at our community events.
We wish all Newington residents and their families a very, merry Christmas and a happy and safe New Year and we look forward to seeing you all in 2010.
Dates for your diary
- 2010 events will kick off with a free twilight concert in Pierre de Coubertin Park on Sunday 28 February - come and sing along with all the hits of ABBA.
- Clean Up Newington (In conjunction with Clean Up Australia Day) is scheduled for Sunday 7 March. Newington boasts a great record and we look forward to even more people coming out to help us keep Newington looking good.
Going Away - Keep Your Home Safe
In all the excitement and rush to organise your holiday, it's very easy to forget things - and we're not talking about toothbrushes!
Many burglaries occur when home owners are away on holidays. A house left empty for some time is a potential target for intruders. By taking some precautions and giving your home a lived-in look before you go on holidays, you can substantially reduce the risk of burglary.
Things to do before you leave.
- Ensure that all doors and windows are securely locked.
- Let your neighbours know you'll be away and ask them to watch out.
- Arrange for mail to be held or redirected by your post office.
- Cancel all deliveries such as newspapers.
- Consider installing automatic timing devices for lights and other appliances.
- Disconnect the electrical supply on radio controlled or electronic garage doors and engage manual locks instead.
- Don't leave house keys concealed inside or outside the house. Leave them with a trusted friend or neighbour.
- Arrange for someone to cut your lawn and water your garden.
- Consider asking your neighbours to park a second car in your driveway.
- Lock up garden tools and ladders which might be used to enter your home.
- Turn down the ringing volume on your telephone.
Waste Collection - early call on 28 December
Just a reminder that due to the Public Holiday being held on Monday, 28 December 2009, Auburn Council's waste collection and recycling services will commence at 5.00am instead of 6.00am. They're sorry if it wakes you up but the drivers want to finish early so they can spend time with their families too.
The next edition of the Newington News is due out early next year. If you have any photos, stories or information to submit please email it to us
by no later than 28 December. Please note we need print resolution photos.
Once again thanks for a great year and we'll see you in the new decade.
The work of the Newington Neighbourhood Association would not be possible without the generous support of our sponsors. Please support the organisations that support Newington.